Sunday, January 31, 2010

You know your dog understands a command when...

** He is able to peform the command that was given 200 miles away OVER THE PHONE. A few weeks ago, when I was home saying goodbye to Jarod and called my husband to say 'goodnight,' he told me to give Darwin a command over the speaker phone to see what he would do. I said 'Down,' and down Darwin apparently went! I was rather impressed.

**This morning my husband took Darwin along for a breakfast run and stopped to get gas on the way. Through the rear hatch window, Darwin was given the hand signal for the 'Down' command, and through glass, executed it perfectly.

Yes, you know your dog understands a command when he can perform it by only hearing your voice coming out of that strange and mysterious box that does not smell at all like the person speaking (And just how his people fit in there, he will never know) or through a glass window in a gas station parking lot via a hand signal, he gets it.

Was working with Darwin on his 'wait's and 'stay's tonight while out playing frisbee in the new snow we recieved today. He performed a perfect 'wait,' even with me tossing the frisbee a short distance. This is the first time we've ever tried this command with that kind of a temptation. Go Darwin! His 'stay's were also lovely tonight.

-Mel, Corgi-keeper

*Also, I realize this is the first post I've made without a picture of any sort. It makes me a little sad, but I will make up for it tomorrow with movies and pictures of Darwin and his new method of obtaining his dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment