Friday, October 9, 2009

"What's this?"

So Darwin had his first real experience with snow this morning. And I have to say, watching a young dog trying to figure out what all that white stuff on the ground is was both entertaining and served to brighten my day right off the bat.

At first, he was unsure about what had happened to his world, but one lick of that cold, white, wet stuff and he was hooked. He spent the next few minutes prancing about in pure joy and periodically pausing to eat some more snow off the ground.

"Hmmm, there appears to be some strange white stuff on my nose."



"Perhaps I should taste test it."



"Okay, for as strange as this stuff is, it recieves the Darwin Seal of Approval. Still not as good as the frisbee, though."



I haven't introduced him to the concept of a snoball yet, but you can bet that this will be happening shortly.

Watching him, I was reminded of that song from 'A Nightmare Before Christmas' entitled "What's this?" what with his frantic dashing about and all.

What's this? What's this?
There's color everywhere
What's this?
There's white things in the air
What's this?
I can't believe my eyes
I must be dreaming

* * *
I want it, oh, I want it
Oh, I want it for my own
I've got to know
I've got to know
What is this place that I have found?
What is this?


-Mel, Corgi-keeper

**Note: These pictures aren't perfectly in focus because Mr. Puppy was more interested in eating snow than posing, so there you go.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun to see their first experience with snow? I can't believe so many folks are already seeing snow! It's a very rare thing around my area, and certainly not until Jan or Feb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow is sort of a rare thing around here too around this time of year(unlike in my hometown that's just three hours away where they have consistently had snow in September every year and days and days of the stuff falling in 10-inch blocks). That snow in the pictures was actually melted by the following day and we haven't had any since, though I'm sure Darwin will be very excited when the snow comes again!

    ReplyDelete