Sunday, October 25, 2009

Seven groups, one choice

So I'm a little behind on this activity, as most of the other blogs I read have already posted this weeks ago, but C'est la vie.

IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE A DOG FROM EACH CKC/AKC "GROUP," WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE AND WHY?
(excluding your own breeds)

Group 1- Sporting
Group 2- Hound
Group 3- Working
Group 4- Terriers
Group 5- Toys
Group 6- Non Sporting
Group 7- Herding

Over the course of my life, I have loved several different breeds of dog. As a child, prior to my family bringing the first dog into my life, my greatest love was German Shepards. This love shifted to Golden Retrievers, of course, when, at the tender age of eight, one became my first dog. And now I'm a corgi person after falling in love with the breeds (particularly Cardigans) nearly five years ago.

But on to my choices:

Group 1- Sporting: Murphy was my first dog and happened to be a Golden Retriever. While there are many wonderful sporting breeds out there, I think that, given the chance, I'd own one again. They are such loveable dogs, so easy going and eager to be your buddy. So Golden Retriever would be my top choice in this group.

Group 2- Hounds: I'd have to say a beagle for this one, with whippets as a close second. I've always had a secret love for beagles, and had a stuffed one named 'Sam' as a child, so they filled my imagination at one point in my life. The only part of them I wouldn't appreciate is that bark. Hounds are amazing dogs, but I'm grateful to currently have a breed that doesn't get 'too' distracted following his nose.

Group 3- Working: Probably a Siberian Husky or Alaskan Malamute. I've always admired these breeds and my neighbors had a wonderful Malamute named Kodiak that I pet-sit for as a child who was an excellent dog. So perhaps I'm a little biased ;). They have a certain special mystique about them.

Group 4- Terriers: Jack Russell Terrier. I'm not really much of a terrier person. I admire them for their tenacity, but they are definitely not my top group. I think the energy of a Jack Russell would be great for agility, though.

Group 5- Toys: Probably my least-favorite group. I've never (until recently) been much of a small dog person (and I think corgis are on the borderline, still somewhat of a medium-sized dog). However, I do like the Pomeranians I've met and Papillons would also be an acceptable dog to have if I had to choose one from this group.

Group 6- Non Sporting: Shiba Inu. These little dogs have always fascinated me.

Group 7- Herding: Probably the toughest category in which to choose. The herding breeds have really captured my heart in the last few years. Someday I would love to have a purebred border collie to train and work with, as they are such amazing dogs. I don't feel my life is suited for one at the moment, but someday. That would probably be my top choice (next to Cardigan Welsh Corgis, of course). I also really love Australian Sheperds, I could own a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and have a secret love for Australian Cattle dogs. And, of course, that childhood love for German Shepards still hasn't died, so it would be in the running as well.

So there you have it...

Darwin says: "I'm still your favorite though. Right, Mom?"



Of course you are Darwin, of course you are.

-Mel, Corgi-keeper

**Photo by Diane Hargreaves

No comments:

Post a Comment