Thursday, July 9, 2009

Darwin's Sister and the Puppy That Almost Was...

Darwin's breeder posted some more recent pictures of her available puppies, so I thought I'd share.

The first is Darwin's sister, which they have called "Slipper." She wasn't available for adoption when we were there, as she had been slated to go down to someone in the southeastern United States. But, apparently, something came up and he couldn't take her and now she is available for adoption. It's interesting to think, given my desire to, at least at some point in my life, own a female dog, that she might have been the one I would have chosen had she been available.

But probably not, as she was described as wild and more "in your face" than Darwin is, and his personality is definitely the one I was looking for. Still, she's very pretty and it makes me happy to see this updated photo of Darwin's sibling, to watch her grow as I watch him, to know there is another puppy out there related to him... (And who knows, this could be what coloration Darwin would have been had he not recieved the recessive genes!).



The other older puppy that is available is named "Rip". He is currently about seven and a half months old, and was our other option when we went down to the breeder's to look at their puppies. Before I had even met Darwin, all I had to go on was pictures of Rip and 'Cream male (Darwin)' on the internet. Rip is a furrier Cardigan corgi, and I find that look very attractive. So, visually, he was the one I was most interested in when we went down to the breeder's. However, he was a lot crazier than Darwin was, and Darwin's gait is so much more beautiful than his, directing us to choose the latter puppy as our own. I still think Rip is a magnificent looking dog, and if I had been more set in my career, experienced with Cardigan corgis, and better trained in agility, might have chosen him, as his energy level seemed fitting for a high drive agility dog.



Nevertheless, I am grateful for the puppy that fate delivered into our waiting arms. Darwin is perfect for us, and we are glad that he waited for us when the rest of his litter had gone to their respective homes. Really, I wouldn't trade him for any other Cardigan corgi out there.

-Mel, Corgi-keeper

No comments:

Post a Comment